Monday 17 September 2012

Yelena Yemchuk ID Magazine The Location Issue - Turn on the Bright lights

Yelena Yemchuk ID Magazine "Turn on the bright lights".

I cut these images below out of an ID magazine years ago (May have been 2005)? and have used them in my photography lessons as inspiration for my students, as I'm based in Southend-on-Sea and we have a bit of a Coney Island thing going on here (Adventure Island) amusement park and all...

I contacted Yelena in Feb 2016 and asked for her permission to use the images on my blog, so as far as I'm aware here they are for the first time on-line with permission from Yelena.

Photographers Yelena Yemchuk - ID Magazine - Location Issue "Turn on the bright lights" a fashion shoot at Coney Island styled by Soraya Dayani. In Yelena's reply to me she said...
"It was a very personal project and a fun one, a rarity these days in fashion magazines".

One of the reason's I love this set of images so much is that fun aspect, there's a real sense of connectivity with the models, it doesn't look like a fashion shoot, it looks like a set of images shot by a friend on the way back from a party early in the morning as the sun rises, laughing and joking - still drunk and heady from the night before. I also love the 1960's styling - the make-up, hair, skirts, shoes and tops, all brought together with the use of black and white film on what looks like 35mm.

Photography - Yelena Yemchuk  for ID Magazine


2017 Update. I contacted Yelena again as the current students are shooting a location assignment and I've directed them to research and analyse Yelena's work, suggesting they look primarily at the set below. I asked Yelena about the materials, techniques and processes and she very kindly replied...
 
Hi Dave,
How are you - Sure no problem.
I shot that on a Nikon fm3. I always shoot trix 400 when I shoot black and white, No fill or reflectors or lights were used. I think that series was influenced by Antonioni and Monica Vitti 
At that time I believe I was really influenced by cinema as I still am, but particularly at the time by cinema from the 1960's in Europe. Please let me know if I can answer any more questions. 
Thank you.
 

 












 

 
The reason I use these images in my lessons is that the images are an example of how simple a fashion shoot can be and yet be really evocative of a moment. The images are especially useful with regards to the narrative based unit. I you research Yelena you can find interviews with her where she explains her work process. She explains that she creates characters and then expects the models to act out a role of the character... story telling and using narrative.

Right in our back yard we have virtually the same backdrop - Southend on Sea seafront - the potential is massive... Use it and draw influence from Yelena's work.

Thanks to Yelena Yemchuk for allowing the use of the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment